Do you ever get home from shopping at the farmer’s market and wonder what the heck you are going to make with all of the stuff that you just bought? That’s me every single time. You see, when I grocery shop I have a list and I am organized and purposeful. At the farmer’s market, I shop for the experience and buy stuff because it looks beautiful, or it is an amazing deal (hello last call $1 apples) and I figure out what to do with it when I get home. Sometimes, I’m lucky and it all comes together beautifully, like in this corn salad.
This is more like a template than a recipe. You can switch up some of the veggies and the herbs for the vinaigrette and have a completely different result. The important thing is to combine a lot of colors and textures to make the salad interesting. The flavoring for this is only as good as the vegetables that you use. The vinaigrette is subtle, and meant to enhance the sweetness of the corn and tomatoes and allow the peppery bite of the radishes to come through.
Some of you may scoff at the idea of using the microwave to cook anything. I was once in that club and let me tell you, that club has a hot kitchen and lots of dishes to wash. I have learned that the microwave is great for more than just warming up a cup of coffee and then forgetting about it for a few hours. That’s not just me, right? Steaming veggies wrapped in a hot kitchen cloth, melting chocolate, defrosting chicken breasts, all done in minutes. What can be bad about that? (Before you comment about the radiation killing me and my family, that was a rhetorical question…)
On those days when it is disgustingly hot and the idea of turning on your oven or stove sounds like torture add a can of tuna to this salad and call it dinner. It will also keep in your fridge for a few days so make enough to bring to work for lunch and pretend that you have your act together for a day.
summer corn salad with parsley vinaigrette
A hearty salad that highlights summer veggies at their peak.
- 3 ears of corn (white or yellow, as long as it’s really good)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 radishes, sliced thinly
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (Italian or curly)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
- Wrap your shucked ears of corn in a damp kitchen towel or paper towel and place on a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and let sit in the microwave to steam while you chop up the rest of your vegetables.
- Cut the kernels of corn off of the ears by holding the corn vertically in a bowl and running your knife down the sides from top to bottom. Discard the cobs and add the rest of the chopped vegetables to the bowl. Make the vinaigrette.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, parsley salt and pepper until the salt is dissolved. add the oil slowly while continuously whisking to get the oil and vinegar to combine. Pour about half of the vinaigrette over the salad and taste for seasoning. Reserve the rest of the vinaigrette for serving.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least an hour so that all of the flavors meld and everything gets nice and cold and refreshing.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of vinaigrette on top for a punch of flavor.