Who doesn’t need a super easy recipe, with simple ingredients, that will make the whole family happy? I know I do! And this recipe is plain easy, almost embarrassingly easy, but that’s what us busy working moms need! Even if you can’t cook, you can certainly make this dish, it doesn’t take a lot of effort. Nobody wants to be sweating in the kitchen right now. You can also get all of the ingredients at one store- Trader Joes! And if you don’t have a Trader Joes, don’t worry, these ingredients are easy to find, and you can substitute any kind of fish you like. I like the breaded fish (because it doesn’t stink) and it adds a little crunch. Anyways…. the first time I had campfire fish tacos, I was camping on the beach with a bunch of my east side moms. After setting up my camp, I started to walk by all the sites to see what they were cooking and to see if I could steal some new camping tips. Everyone is eyeing everyone’s spread, but the most coveted dish was Ashley’s campfire tacos, and off went my kids to try the fish tacos, and ditch our usual hot dogs and baked beans. These tacos are a staple for camping. Everything is packaged, so it’s super easy to manage, but you don’t need a campfire to make these tacos, you can grill the fish on the stove, or out on your BBQ. The slaw is super easy too, just pick up some packaged cabbage or cole slaw, add a little lime and sea salt, and for the salsa, pick up your favorite salsa and add some chopped mango. Voila! You are done! After Melissa and I ate the tacos, I realized I forgot the cheese. Cheese makes everything better. I would crumble up some cotija or feta or any other shredded cheese you may have. Garnish with some avocado, a little cilantro, and if you are as obsessed as we are with Tajin, sprinkle a little more on and you are good to go!
campfire fish tacos
embarrassingly easy campfire fish tacos
- One packages of Trader Joe’s 16 oz frozen tilapia ( 1 filet per person= 2 tacos)
- One package of corn tortillas
- One 16 ounce bag of shredded green cabbage, or cole slaw mix, whichever you prefer
- 4 tablespoons of sour cream
- Juice of one lime
- sea salt to taste
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- cotija cheese and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Let’s start by getting all your toppings together. Open up your slaw and put in a large bowl. Add the sour cream and lime juice. Toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with sea salt and Tajin.
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa and chopped mango.
- After the prep is done, heat up a skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil, add fish and cook 4-5 minutes on each side. Now cut your fish into strips or chunks. I like chunks, but Melissa prefers strips.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and add tortillas in a single layer to heat up to desired crunchiness.
- Now it’s time to assemble. Fill tacos with fish, slaw, and mango salsa. Add some crumbled cotija cheese, chopped avocado, and cilantro. Bam! You are done. If you are Melissa, you will squeeze some more lime on, and if you are Carin, you will drown your tacos in more Tajin. We both ate about 2 tacos, and were delightfully full!